Caress of the Gaze from Charlie Nordstrom on Vimeo.
I was really impressed with the project that Aldo Sollazo showed in the computer couture class, "Caress if the gaze". Therefore my goal has been to use the resources learned in the grasshopper class and generate a similar pattern.
I have based my personal references and observation on this species in particular Semibalanus balanoides, for the realization of the parametric design.
My intention for the realization of the design has been to control parametrically, several aspects. 1. Control the height in a variable way. 2. The width of the tip of variable form. 3. Control the rotation in its own axis in a variable way.
Grasshoper is a quite complex program, but with great possibilities, to obtain the desired objective, with patterns that resemble the nature of the Semibalanus balanoides. Thanks to the help of Mohamed Elatabm finally these are the final results once the bake is done.
In this first pattern I decided not to remove the upper part of the modules and to expose it as .stl to then print in 0% infill and get the open modules in the upper and lower part.
From Rinhoces, export the result in .stl to be able to print on textile. For this the basis of the design is separated between the modules so that it can be flexible once printed on the textile.
To prepare the 3d printer for textiles, several details must be taken into account.
1. Fasten the fabric to the base of the printer. In this case I used a double-sided tape and blue tape to hold the fabric more tightly.
2. The fabric must be stretched so that the nozzle of the printer can move without obstructions.
3. Level the bed of the printer each time you change the fabrics, depending on the thickness of the fabric z, it varies when printing.
This image can check the type of fabric and the level of stretch necessary for the correct impression.
Although in the settings of the print to generate the .gcode select the infill 0% and without raft, the printer for security generated a series of internal supports that closed the holes below and inside.
This is the final result with the supports inside.
The final results were satisfactory and the distance between the modules was sufficient to obtain an adaptable result to the body. The base in hexagonal shape allows to print in a modular way and to be able to assemble the different modules between them.
It is this video you can appreciate that the desired height, opening, and variable rotation objectives were achieved.
This is the second pattern correcting the failures obtained with the pattern 1. For this Rinhoceros remove the surface and the base of the patterns with a width of 0.5 mm. This is the design I made for textile printing where you can appreciate the distance between the modules. For this pattern I have extended this distance for better adaptability of the modules in the body.
Finally I decided to print the second pattern without textile, to be able to make the first prototype of my final project in a more controlled way. I added a base of 1mm at the base of the design, thus joining the modules between them. I have also matched the heights and eliminated the rotation on the shaft to ensure that the holes can be controlled in a vertical direction.
For this impression I have used the 3d ultimaker 2+ printer, with a new filament in transparent PLA, provided by the brand. I have selected this material to be able to add lighting at the base of the modules and take advantage of its translucent texture.
I have loved the texture of the material and its color. For this prototype select standard quality and infill 15%, and the definition has not been so perfect. But I made a second impression with 100% and fine quality, with great results.