For the design I have based on a hexagonal structure so that it could be modular when joining different parts. The size of the triangles and distribution make the textile can adapt to different shapes with this pattern.
I have decided to leave a space of 1 mm between the pieces so that the fabric has more flexibility between the pieces and you can see the fabric between the pieces of wood, being able to apply colors and fabrics to the final finish in the design.
I have prepared the file is ilustrator to cut in laser trotec speedy 400.
The line should be 0.01pt and the red cut color.
The cut in the wood has been clean and with hardly any brown areas. The settings that I used with the pre-set by the 3mm playwood machine.
Before removing the wood from the machine, I put some strips of tape to keep the structure organized and with the corresponding measures.
This has been the final result before sticking it into the textile.
With a spatula I have distributed the wooden glue over the entire surface of the board.
Then I added the fabric to the wood with the wooden glue, and I used the spatula again to make it all smooth.
Then I have removed the grid that united them, leaving only the triangles.
The triangles when removing the grid have moved a bit of place. I should have stuck only the triangles and wait for the tail to dry before removing it.
For this pattern I have used the parametric design that I have made for the final project to be able to also look for interactivity options with this technique.
With the grasshoppe I defined the final pattern that I liked to cut into the wood, once the bake was done in the front view, I converted the 3d design into 2d using the command "make 2d"
Once the 2D rhinoceros design has been obtained, I have exported it to illustrator in order to prepare it for the cut with the settings indicated for the Trotec speedy 400 laser cutter.
The type of wood is different to that used in the previous design and the established settings have not worked as well as the lighter wood. You can see some areas that have not been cut cleanly.
As in the previous example before leaving the machine I put tape on the wood to preserve the design. But this time remove the remaining pieces before sticking the textile to avoid making the same mistake.